Re: Accesskey consensus

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:07:22 +0930
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

John Foliot - bytown internet wrote:
> After conducting an unofficial survey/research project in the summer of
> 2002, I concluded that there really were no useful access keys not already
> reserved by some application or other.  When you take internationalisation
> issues into account, it becomes a hopeless cause.
>
> See: http://www.wats.ca/resources/accesskeys/19 for an opinion piece I wrote
> regarding the subject.

Would it be fair to say, therefore, that defining Accesskeys is a waste
of time unless one is designing for a controlled environment such as an
intranet?

Like the recent/current discussion of placemarking text in <input/>
elements, this is something that may be easily checked and used as a
measure of compliance by those who do not see the "big picture".  What
say the WCAG folks to issues like this?

Cheers

Matthew Smith
IT Consultant - KBC, South Australia