Re: place-holding characters in edit/text boxes

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:57:41 +0100 (BST)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Fri, 23 May 2003, David Woolley wrote:

> > I feel that this may be a case of whole legions of Web developers having
> > to do extra work to make up for the failings of but a few programmers
> > (those writing the screen readers).  I do both, so I'm not biased ;-)
> Are you sure the placeholders are there for accessibility reasons.

Erm, not so much accessibility as compliance-by-rote with broken checkers.

>	  It's
> become a standard idiom to use a dummy entry in selection lists

I don't think selection lists were the issue.

> give imperative instructions on what to enter there.  Maybe some
> of placeholders are there because of the designer's feeling that they
> must order the user at every opportunity?

Well, just occasionally it can be helpful to pre-fill a field, with
an onfocus event to clear it (as already suggested by someone else).
But that should be an informed decision by the author, not unthinking

Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html