RE: place-holding characters in edit/text boxes

From: Lauke PH <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:26:59 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I've started simply adding a single space character as default text,
and making sure I strip any possible leading/trailing spaces from
the form inputs server-side. I loathe those long-winded placeholders
(e.g. "your email address here"), as, when filling the form in, one
has to first clear the input box. Sure, most sites that have these
long-winded default texts usually also have onfocus/onblur javascript
events to clear the box and/or restore it to the original default
text, but...that won't do me any good in lynx ;-)

So, is there any views on adding a single space as default ?

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk