Re: place-holding characters in edit/text boxes

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:50:05 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> I feel that this may be a case of whole legions of Web developers having
> to do extra work to make up for the failings of but a few programmers
> (those writing the screen readers).  I do both, so I'm not biased ;-)

Are you sure the placeholders are there for accessibility reasons.  It's
become a standard idiom to use a dummy entry in selection lists to
give imperative instructions on what to enter there.  Maybe some
of placeholders are there because of the designer's feeling that they
must order the user at every opportunity?