Re: *Complex* Tables, Forms, Labeling, I'm still confused

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:44:03 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Visibility, to my understanding, should only affect visual browsers, so your
> screen readers will pick up the label, but it won't be visible to visual
> user agents.

Most "screen readers" are visual browsers!!!   They use IE to render
the page and IE is a visual browser.  They could look deeper at the
object model, but there is a chicken and egg problem - unless authors
start using non-visual media types for their styles, there is no incentive,
and there is no incentive to do so until AT supports them.

In my view, making labels invisible suggests a misuse of label, though.