Re: font-size em in IE6

From: Michael Brown <mike@maupuia.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:33:07 +1300
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa@xs4all.nl>

Ineke wrote:
IvdM> I heard that it is better to specify the font-size in 100% in stead of
IvdM> em  in the body. Due to a bug in special IE6 browsersettings em seems to
IvdM> be rendered very small. Other elements can have a property font-size em
IvdM> as those seem not be influenced by this special bug that appears in some
IvdM> IE6 settings.
IvdM> Has anybody experience with this bug and in what IE6 browsersettings
IvdM> this occurs?

I think this is an IE thing rather than a specific IE6 thing. But yes,
it seems if you specify em for font-size in the body, then the fonts can get very
small in IE with the text size set to "smaller" or "smallest". Using
100% (or 80%) for font-size in the body, and then using em for
everything else <h1>, <p> etc, gets around this problem. With text
size set to smallest in IE, it's still readable - depending of course
on your eyesight! At any rate, the font size shown on screen for IE will only
"scale-down" to a certain size and no lower with this method.

As always, test this method across browers, but I've found it to work
quite well.

Mike Brown
TiS New Zealand Ltd :: web development - software development - usability

web: http://www.tis.co.nz
ph/fax: +64 4 934-9205 | mob: + 64 25 885-992