Re: 508 vs. W3C

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:54:07 +0100 (BST)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> > Incidentally, if any list member would like to explain to me what
> > diference in terms of accessibility is between the various compliance
>
> The real difference is in acceptability to commercial web designers.
>
> 1 should cause no real hardship;
> 2 will limit their scope somewhat;
> 3 tends to rule out a lot of what they want to do in terms of presentation.

Not sure I'd agree with any of that.  It doesn't so much limit what
they can do, as whether they can get away with using totally clueless
software to produce their pages.

I wrote something about my take on the subject in the Help pages for
the Accessibility Valet (<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/access/>).
One point that seems relevant here is that whereas levels A and AA
just require simple avoidance of gross stupidity, level AAA calls
on the developer to be proactive in providing accessibility.

--
Nick Kew