Re: FAQ - two columns using CSS

From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 00:27:19 +0000
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Friday 15 February 2002 21:46, David Woolley wrote:
|   > .main { float:right ; width:75%}
|   > .nav { background-color: gold }
|
|   I'd have the following concerns about this:
|
|   - I believe implementation of floats in browsers is weak, although
|     maybe the broken ones don't recognize it in CSS at all;
|
|   - this is very presentationalist - it is using a float for the part
|     that is not logically a float - the navigation pane is closer to a
|     true float;
|
|   - as already pointed out, .nav is full width and simply overload by
|     the float.  If the main text is small, the navigation bar will escape
|     under its bottom.

Well, as it has been discussed several times during last 6 months: there are
of course better (more logical) ways to achieve 2-column, or 3-column layouts.

display: inline-block is correct solution for this task, IMHO.
Problem is that it's not supported by Netscape 6.x/Mozilla...
(you need MacIE 5.x or WinIE6 for such layout)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)