Re: small generalisation in an existing CSS2 attribute was Re: object : when is support arriving, and more.

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:22:50 -0500 (EST)
To: jonathan chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
cc: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Have a look at the CSS2 properties cue cue-before and cue-after.

Do these cover the effect you are looking for? They can be applied by
element, class, or id, so could provide a general 'earcon' for a type of
element, or could be used to provide a particular sound to associate with a
particular element identified by its id attribute...

(the problem then becomes one of getting that part of CSS2 implemented -
whether in the browsers or by some extension to them).

chaals