RE: Legal requirements RE: statistics

From: Cynthia Waddell <Cynthia.Waddell@psinetcs.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:42:04 -0800
To: "Simon White" <simon.white@jkd.co.uk>, "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@home.com>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>, "SHARPE, Ian" <Ian.SHARPE@cambridge.sema.slb.com>
Cc: "WAI \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Mr. White makes an excellent point.  The primary reason for accessible web
design is to enable the broadest range of users to reach the content of the
website.  Laws protecting the rights of individuals with disabilities to
access this content have come about because barriers have prevented this
protected class from participating in the benefits of the Internet.  For
example, as many of you may know, access to information, whether it be via
print or the Internet, has been recognized by the United Nations as a human

Cynthia Waddell

Cynthia D. Waddell, JD
Principal Consultant
Subject Matter Expert
Accessibility Center of Excellence
(800)547-5602 or Fax (800)228-8204

ACE Offices are located at San Jose, CA, Sacramento, CA and Raleigh, NC USA

San Jose Office:
PO BOX 5456
San Jose, California USA 95150-5456