Re: compliance and layout tables revisited

From: Michelle Podd <mpodd@iqnetcom.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:38:48 -0400
To: "WAI \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "Joe Clark" <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Joe said:

> WAI members, who never seem to use the Web the way real people do,
> and whose idea of a perfect Web site seems to be Whatever Looks Just
> Like Standards Documents at W3.org, merely assume the following:
> "CSS standards have been published.  Therefore reality has
> immediately reconfigured itself to conform to our hypothetical
> standard."

To this I say, "Whew!!!" Those are some words I can take to heart.

As for the border attribute for the image in the input tag:

> input {border: none}
>
> solves the problem. Or you could use a specific class.
>
> Use the bit of CSS above. It is reasonably well-supported. Even if
> it isn't, well, a border is a much smaller transgression than divs
> that sit on top of one another (always considered correct by WAI
> even if no one on the planet can read them).

That's a good suggestion. It doesn't work in NN4 (which my bosses use --
proprietors of a progressive internet company that they are) so now the
decision becomes:

Real world coding which you've mentioned above versus validating and earning
the icons for the website. I'll let them decide.

Thanks, Joe -- you've been most helpful.

Michelle Podd, Web Designer