RE: compliance and layout tables revisited

Michelle

You raise an interesting point about the Priority 2 validation issues relating
to use of tables for layout. I too had trouble reconciling those points but in
the end decided that I would aim to use style sheets for layout in any case as
it is just so much better to be able to separate layout from content. You are
right, Joe did respond to this discussion (and I note his new post on this
topic has just arrived in my inbox).If you recall however, Joe also included
suggestions of html pages (templates) that effectively use CSS2 style sheets
for layout and look fine in NS4 and other lower/broken browsers. That is the
approach I took to be comfortable that the site does achieve triple A
compliance.

I initially found the same problem with border="0" used as part of the img tag
being reported as invalid by the HTML validator. I changed the doc type to
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> and the
validator no longer reports this as a problem. I agree with Joe that use of CSS
to control the appearance of images with respect to borders is preferable.
However, many browsers do not recognise the class and still show the border. So
I decided to use the border="0" for the sake of browser compatibility.

Denise