RE: popup Javascript alert - accessible?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:31:08 +0100
To: "Access Systems" <accessys@smart.net>, "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> but as I mentioned, I am not using any version of Netscape, but am running
> Lynx, and Lynx does not like Javascript at all.
>    it doesn't abort the submission but in many(most)cases it isn't even
> possible to submit. the "submit" button doesn't function at all, if it
> even shows up.  in many cases the "button" to submit isn't even there.

Lynx doesn't have to like javascript.
David is talking about a working HTML page were javascript can do some of
the validation before the page is sent to avoid a round-trip to the server.
You are talking about a non-working HTML page where javascript is used to
perform basic functionality provided by HTML itself because of poor design.

The first will work fine on Lynx, the second won't, and is quite often
backed by an insecure server-side process (bizarrely I've seen some pages
where javascript was used to submit a form, but didn't perform any
validation - as far as I could make out the javascript existed purely to
make the page inaccessible).