Re: popup Javascript alert - accessible?

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:16:59 -0000
To: "Access Systems" <accessys@smart.net>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
"Access Systems" <accessys@smart.net>
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, David Woolley wrote:
> > > I hate those sites, Lynx sure doesn't like anything that has to do
> > > Javascript...I don't ever get them to submit..
> >
> > That's not a necessary problem with Javascript, just one with common
> > for its use.  If the scripting is done as an onsubmit action, and
> > false on a validation error, you might just have problems with very
> > Netscape's, but generally browsers with script on will abort the
> but as I mentioned, I am not using any version of Netscape, but am
> Lynx, and Lynx does not like Javascript at all.
>    it doesn't abort the submission but in many(most)cases it isn't even
> possible to submit. the "submit" button doesn't function at all, if it
> even shows up.  in many cases the "button" to submit isn't even there.

Which is a problem with poorly authored script, not a problem with
javascript validation, which can be very easily done so as to be
transparent to Lynx.

<form action="/" onsubmit="if (confirm) return confirm('Are you sure?')">
<input type="submit" name="button" value"submit">

Can still be trivially submitted under lynx and has some "validation"
under some script capable browsers.