RE: Real-time captions in streaming media

From: Denise Wood <Denise.Wood@unisa.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:38:25 +0930
To: "'joeclark@joeclark.org'" <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Cc: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Clark [mailto:joeclark@joeclark.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 7:38 AM
To: WAI-IG
Subject: Real-time captions in streaming media

> There was a question in Thursday's telecon about real-time captioning and
> streaming formats.  I sent a note to Geoff Freed and he responded that
> realmedia and windows media support real-time captions.

Please exercise extreme care in using the term "support" in any
reference to accessibility. Real and WiMP may be able to *display*
real-time captions (streaming captions), but how do you get them
*in*?

Without a perfectly clear answer to that question, how are real-time
captions truly "supported"?

Sorry Joe

I am not sure I understand why you are suggesting there is no clear answer to
the question of how you get streaming captions into Realmedia and Windows media
- Magpie makes that process relatively simple. I just checked and the WebAim
course which is up to week 4 is covering this topic in detail this week for
anyone who is interested. You need to register
(http://www.webaim.org/training2002/)- but as most of you know - it is a free
course.

Denise