Real-time captions in streaming media

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:07:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> There was a question in Thursday's telecon about real-time captioning and
> streaming formats.  I sent a note to Geoff Freed and he responded that
> realmedia and windows media support real-time captions.

Please exercise extreme care in using the term "support" in any
reference to accessibility. Real and WiMP may be able to *display*
real-time captions (streaming captions), but how do you get them
*in*?

Without a perfectly clear answer to that question, how are real-time
captions truly "supported"?

--

    Joe Clark              joeclark@joeclark.org
    Accessibility:        <http://joeclark.org/access/>