  From: Joe Clark [mailto:joeclark@joeclark.org]
  Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 7:38 AM
  To: WAI-IG
  Subject: Real-time captions in streaming media

  > There was a question in Thursday's telecon about real-time captioning and
  > streaming formats.  I sent a note to Geoff Freed and he responded that
  > realmedia and windows media support real-time captions.

  Please exercise extreme care in using the term "support" in any
  reference to accessibility. Real and WiMP may be able to *display*
  real-time captions (streaming captions), but how do you get them
  *in*?

  Without a perfectly clear answer to that question, how are real-time
  captions truly "supported"?

  Sorry Joe

  I am not sure I understand why you are suggesting there is no clear answer to
  the question of how you get streaming captions into Realmedia and Windows media
  - Magpie makes that process relatively simple. I just checked and the WebAim
  course which is up to week 4 is covering this topic in detail this week for
  anyone who is interested. You need to register
  (http://www.webaim.org/training2002/)- but as most of you know - it is a free
  course.

  Denise