Re: long tables

At 13:52 2002-04-15 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I have a very big table to put up on a web page and I *know* that it's going
>to cause someone somewhere severe problems. The table is 13 cols x 194 rows
>and cannot really be split up into smaller logical tables which would be the
>easiest solution. Does anyone out there have any ideas on mark-up to make
>this table easier to follow for screen readers? Sorry if this sounds like a
>simple problem but it's one that I've only just come across and would dearly
>like some pointers.

See the recommended table markup (originally in HTML 4.0) for XHTML 4.0.

     http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml1-20011004/

Your browser may make difficult the downloading of the strict DTD. (Opera
allows it
Microsoft Internet Explorer doesn't.) You may need to download the zip
version and
unzip it.

My paraphrase:

For visual browsing, the table rows TR in thead and tfoot are expected
to persist in screen display when the tbody row content needs to scroll.

For non-visual support the individual TH or TD table cells can include
attributes:
     id="unique identifier", usable as reference target
     axis="comma separated list of related headers"
     headers="idrefs of appropriate header cells"
     scope=(row|col|rowgroup|colgroup)

>tia
>Julian
>
>Julian Scarlett
>Web Design & Document Management System Officer
>PPU
>Education Directorate
>Sheffield City Council
>0114 2735721
>mob 07904914976
>julian.scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk
>
>The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
>disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
>addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email
>software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any
>responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has
>been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the message
>may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.

I object to email purportedly confidential. I have similarly protested to
Julie Howell, RNIB, and she is raising the issue of their lawyer
message, much longer and more threatening, on their email. She is working
to revise their policy.

Regards/Harvey Bingham
Invited Expert, World Wide Web Consortium Web Accessibility Initiative