RE: long tables

Actually, as a non-screenreader user I often wish that my visual browser was
equally smart, and allowed me to scroll the table while keeping the headers
in view (as spreadsheet programs can do). I'll write to my browser developers
about this, although I guess this would complicate life for screenreader
users (as opposed to folks who use talking browsers) so it is worth thinking
about for afew minutes before I do so.

Just as an aside, I know that speech systems are getting better all the time
at dealing with tables. For a complex table with several levels of headings
(marked up using scope / axis attributes, or multiple tbody elements, etc)
are there speech systems that can provide access to the various headers yet,
or should I keep using tablin to rebuild the tables?

Also, the headers attribute seems OK for cases where the headers structure is
really complex, but the idea of the scope, axis, etc attributes is that quite
often it is simpler to identify blocks for which various headers apply than
to name each applicable header every time. Does this make sense to other
folks, or seem silly?

cheers

chaals