Re: Accessibility and Pop-Up Ads

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:54:21 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Hewitt, Denise" <Denise.Hewitt@idea.com>
cc: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org '" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Consider an ad as part of a page (that's the effect for the user). Does the
page (ad included) meet WCAG checkpoints?

CHaals

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Hewitt, Denise wrote:

  I honestly don't browse enough with lynx or a voice browser to really run
  into a lot of pop up ads, but I just saw one which pretty much took over the
  entire page at weather.com (for a war movie on HBO. Planes flew all over the
  screen, and all sorts of other annoying things took place).

  I guess i am wondering in what cases do banner ads / interstitial ads / etc
  impact browsing, and second to that, if banner ads, etc cause enough of a
  problem that they can make a page inaccessible.

  I hope my questions make sense... any thoughts?

  Denise