Re: audio description in live broadcasts

From: David Poehlman <poehlman1@home.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:20:33 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "Jennifer Sutton" <jensutton@earthlink.net>
for more on this, see:
http://www.abletv.net
they do it all the time.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jennifer Sutton" <jensutton@earthlink.net>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 9:28 AM
Subject: audio description in live broadcasts

Hello:

At 03:19 PM 7/3/01 -0400, Morris, Lynn wrote, in part:

>The real challenge to 508-compliant multimedia is going to be
incorporating
>audio descriptions in live broadcasts.  I'd love to see an example of
that,
>if it's out there.

Now, I suppose that I can see occasions where this *could* be a
challenge.  However, it seems to me that most live broadcasts can be
adequately audio-described by the presenters themselves.  For example, a
presenter should always verbalize the contents of a chart or graph to
which
he/she is pointing.  What's more, isn't this simply good presentation
practice--to address the various learning styles of all audience
members?

So, in short, perhaps this is more of a challenge to educate trainers
about
why best practice is important for everyone, rather than an issue of
technological barriers and challenges.

Jennifer