audio description in live broadcasts

From: Jennifer Sutton <jensutton@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:28:37 -0400
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hello:

At 03:19 PM 7/3/01 -0400, Morris, Lynn wrote, in part:

>The real challenge to 508-compliant multimedia is going to be incorporating
>audio descriptions in live broadcasts.  I'd love to see an example of that,
>if it's out there.

Now, I suppose that I can see occasions where this *could* be a
challenge.  However, it seems to me that most live broadcasts can be
adequately audio-described by the presenters themselves.  For example, a
presenter should always verbalize the contents of a chart or graph to which
he/she is pointing.  What's more, isn't this simply good presentation
practice--to address the various learning styles of all audience members?

So, in short, perhaps this is more of a challenge to educate trainers about
why best practice is important for everyone, rather than an issue of
technological barriers and challenges.

Jennifer