Re: use of alt attributes in decorative images

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 10:25:43 -0800
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@home.com>
Cc: "Frank Tobin" <ftobin@uiuc.edu>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 09:08 AM 1/25/2001 , David Poehlman wrote:
>unless you are going to really work to make it fit, picture is a poor
>choice of title as is logo, image, or any other content label.

It's a poor choice for ALT text, but it is highly appropriate as
a TITLE, in my opinion.  If someone chooses to have their browser
read TITLEs at the same time it reads ALT text, hey, more power
to 'em, but it _is_ correct to identify an image as a picture (or
photograph or logo or whatever) in a TITLE="" element of an IMG
tag.

The rules for TITLE are not the same as the rules for ALT.

--Kynn

Kynn Bartlett
Sr. Engineering Product Leader
Team Edapta