Re: Acronyms... With Indistinct Spellings

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:42:24 -0800
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 08:16 AM 1/31/2001 , Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>Acronyms are meant to be pronounced, yes?

Stop right there -- that's not clear at all.  There is no
consensus that anything marked up with the <acronym> tag is
meant to be pronounced in any given manner in any given
language.

>This has probably been discussed a thousand times before...

Yes, and inconclusively so.  There is no link between <acronym>
and any given pronunciation of the content of the element.

There is currently no way to mark up a specific pronunciation
for any text in (X)HTML.  Your question can be applied equally
to non-acronym text as well:

    Do I spell 'wright' the write way when I right it with my
    rite hand?

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                http://kynn.com/