Acronyms... With Indistinct Spellings

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:16:56 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Regarding acronyms in XHTML...

Acronyms are meant to be pronounced, yes? I was just wondering what the
default behaviour was for them in screen readers, e.g. faced with:-

     <acronym>EARL</acronym>

Would it attempt to say "earl" or "eee ay ar ell"? If it tries to pronounce
it (which I believe is correct), then what happens if the acronym could
have an ambiguous spelling? For example,

[Obviously all of these examples should have titles as well.] Maybe the
screen reader should spell it out on request, but otherwise pronounce it...

This has probably been discussed a thousand times before...

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer