RE: ALT tag preferences

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:39:13 -0700
To: "Mike Scott" <mscott@msfw.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 2:12 PM -0500 2001/6/28, Mike Scott wrote:
>One fairly minor issue with alt=" " (space) is that visual browsers will
>show the space character as a "tool tip" (small yellow box with nothing in
>it) when te mouse is hovered over the image, which is not a big deal, but
>slightly annoying. It would seem like alt="" (null) would be the most
>appropriate to represent null content.

In some browsers you may be able to get around this by setting a
TITLE on either the image, or the link that encloses the image.  This
should (or maybe I mean quote "should" quote) be used by browsers as
a tooltip if it exists, and not the ALT attribute.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison