improving color on web pages:

This comes from the advanced html list:

Date:    Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:19:50 -0700
From:    Elliott Manley <
Elliott@MoltenGold.com>

Subject: QUESTION: Are you colour-blind?

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself :-)

For ages I've wanted to make a web-based colour picker that updates
itself in real time just like picking colours in a local application.
With a few hours
of hair-tugging, I've done it. The results are at
http://www.TessPub.com/colours.html.
You're welcome to pinch the code. Of course, a credit would be
appreciated.

It displays the results both as selected and as it would appear on a 256
colour monitor using "websafe" colours.

The third thing it attempts to do, perhaps less than 100% successfully,
is check foreground against background colours for contrast.
Colour-blindness makes
the web difficult to use for as many as 10% of your visitors. The idea
is that it tests the difference in intensity between the two colours and
pronounces
it "GOOD" at greater than 33% and "BAD" at less than 33%.

This was developed in collaboration with teenage visitor to one of my
sites who was colour-blind. I realise there are several different kinds
of colour-blindness
and I have tried to allow for all kinds - but without really properly
researching the issue I am not sure how well I've done.  I'd really
appreciate if
colour-blind ADV-HTMLers would visit the site and give me feedback about
it.

I've tested it on the Mac in MSIE 4.0 and 5.5 and Opera 5.0 - where it
works fine and in Netscape 6.0 where it doesn't work at all and Netscape
4.7 where
not only does it not work, it looks terrible too. If anyone can tell me
why Netscape doesn't like it and what to do about it, that'd be great
too.

Happy HTMLing!

Elliott
--