Re: [media] WAI guidelines yield the highest probability of true Web access

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:24:28 -0700
To: Kelly Ford <kford@teleport.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 11:01 AM -0700 10/24/00, Kelly Ford wrote:
>>5. Create tables that transform gracefully. Tables for layout equals NO-NO.

I believe this is a misreading of the guidelines by the author
of the article.

>When I speak about web accessibility, this is one of the most
>controversial issues.  I know this has been talked about here before
>but it is my contention that most tables used for layout do
>transform gracefully in the web browsing solutions used by people
>with disabilities and are not a major impediment to accessibility.

I think Kelly is correct.  I do not believe that layout tables are
currently a major accessibility barrier.  I believe the current
guidelines (WCAG 1.0) reflect this; however, there is an education
problem because for so long, many people were running around equating
tables with inaccessible design and promoting CSS-P as an alternative
(despite the fact that it still is not viable to this day).

--Kynn
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/