RE: [media] Bobby blows whistle on inaccessible Web pages

From: Savin, Jill <jsavin@mentortech.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:28:14 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
BTW, just since it's semi-topical, I feel the "policeman" motif
and metaphor for Bobby is rather sadly mischosen...I feel there's
a negative aspect associated with the idea of Bobby "policing"
Web like some sort of "accessibility cop" instead of being a
useful tool for self-analysis.  It's unfortunate that an image
of authority and law enforcement was selected and is the most
visible "public face" of the Web accessibility movement.

--Kynn

PS:  Or maybe it's just that I live in Los Angeles...
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/

** I agree - makes it seem like people are out there, maliciously refusing
to add alt text to their graphics on purpose, to thwart and keep away those
"undesirable disabled people".
Maybe it's because people with disabilities have been so discriminated
against in the past, that they have a chip on their shoulder about it now.
jill