Mac/IE/XHTML Problem

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:22:04 -0700
To: "WAI Interest Group \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
In accordance with the checkpoint to use W3C technologies when available
(and with the W3C current recommendation to use XHTML), I've changed over
all of my sites to XHTML. Today I got a call from a friend with some bad
news. He just bought a Macintosh and went to one of my sites with Internet
Explorer and instead of a page he got the source code.

It seems that IE on the Mac (for him, anyway) will reproduce HTML just fine,
but when confronted with XHTML will dump the code into the browser window as
if it were plain text. He thinks that the problem is because he just signed
up for @Home and the tech screwed something up, but I am suspicious.

Has anyone else on this list encountered this problem? Is it true that
Mac/IE will not handle XHTML pages properly (I really hope not). Or could it
be some sort of mime-type problem on his computer? Doesn't XHTML go out as
text/html?

Thanks for any help...

Charles F. Munat,
Seattle