Re: reading vs. writing

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 14:41:10 -0400
To: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, jonathan chetwynd <jc@signbrowser.org.uk>
At 12:08 PM 2000-09-02 -0400, David Poehlman wrote:
>this was somewhat my point but when reading media, we usually refer to
>it as assimilation of text? To put it another way, how can an animation
>be read aloud?  you can describe it outloud, but that is not the same as
>a one to one correspondence as with text.  I do not miss the point here
>though that strides towards higher comprehention and interaction are
>being made.

I know you understand, and I count on it.  This is what in the literature
on leadership is termed 'vision' -- the ability to think in terms of what
is possible but not obvious.

Please pardon the pedantry of my next [following] blast.

It could have been summed up in terms of thinking of the scenario of
reading a children's book to a young child.  The person reading the book
ususally both voices the text and talks about the pictures.  But at a
summary level, at the level of aggregation of the whole book, we still
refer to this as "reading the book."

Al