Re: Gobsmacked was: Re: Logical Linearized Order on a Page

jonathan chetwynd wrote:

> Is the W3C homepage an example of  dynamically generated pages suiting the
> user?

The page is not generated, nor is there browser sniffing.

> I had assumed that ie5,lynx and netscape4.7 linux would all represent the
> w3c homepage in a similar manner.
>
> Far from it.
> Lynx and netscape have been selected to present the technologies section
> near the top left whereas ie5 places it near the bottom right.
> Hence the precedence of WAI changes somewhat.

Please try not to read too much into the design. We use a LINK
element at the top so that Lynx users will have access to the
list of links, or the news, or the links to other pages, or the
search box.

I don't know what you mean when you say that IE5 places the
technologies section at the bottom right. Perhaps we have
a mirroring problem for I see essentially the same rendering
on NN and IE.

 - Ian

> Perhaps the grossest coding difference is represented by the table layout.
>
> netscape:
> of
> W3C technologies, the second contains news, and the third another
> navigation bar of W3C pages."
>
> whereas ie5 :
> page, the second a navigation bar."
>
> I have not found it feasible to identify all the differences in coding, and
> have hence attached sources for ie5 and netscape4.7
>
> jonathan chetwynd
>
> jc@signbrowser.org.uk
> special needs teacher
> web accessibility consultant

>                Name: ie5.html
>    ie5.html    Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)
>            Encoding: quoted-printable
>
>                        Name: netscape4.7.html
>    netscape4.7.html    Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)
>                    Encoding: quoted-printable

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783