RE: "invisible" alternate links: accessible?

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 19:19:31 +0100
To: WAI <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> From:	Zachary Mutrux [SMTP:zacm@etr.org]
>
> What do you think about making certain text the same color as the page
> background, if it is intended for users of text-only browsers? I have done
	[DJW:]
	The more common way of doing this is to use alt text
	on a 1 pixel transparent GIF.

	The disadvantage with hiding with colour is that some
	people will override the colours (I had to do this recently
	because of a page with particularly poor colour contrasts
	<http://www2.btwebworld.com/netgeneration/surft/html/faqs.html>,
	and left it off for a while afterwards).

   For more complex cases, you could consider using a
tranparent GIF with <object>, but check this falls back
properly on object aware browsers with images off.