Accessibility barrier?

From: Melinda Morris-Black <melinda@ink.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:01:17 -0500
To: Accessibility Listserve <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
We are currently assembling technical requirements for our website
redesign. One of my goals to move to a XHTML 1.0 and stylesheet solution
for greater accessibility. I don't anticipate any difficulty for the
majority of our portal, with one exception: We display bills for our
state legislature which require strike through text. I'm required that
these display properly, due to the legal nature of the content.

This will be no problem for newer browsers that recognize stylesheets.
However, strike through will not degrade gracefully.  I still have a
population using older browsers and don't anticipate any significant
upgrades in the near future. Many are dialing in from rural Kansas.

Any suggestions for this conundrum? We may have to continue marking up
those documents for years to come otherwise.

--
Regards,

MELINDA MORRIS-BLACK
Information Architect