Re: Accessible Design / JAWS

From: Steven McCaffrey <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:17:32 -0500
To: <thammon@pacbell.net>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi Terry:
A form somewhat similar in form to the two you have which I find accessible
using Lynx 2.8.1  or Internet Explorer 4.01 with JFW 3.2 is
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Web-Blnd, at

There might be some generally applicable techniques you can use as a model.  Although, one caveat is that the number of items on a single page and how long the labels are seems to affect how well my screen reader reads the checkboxes and radio buttons.
Testing, of course, will again be needed.

Steve McCaffrey
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Information Technology Services
New York State Department of Education
New York State Workgroup on Accessibility to Information Technology
Web Design Subcommittee

>>> Terry Hammon <thammon@pacbell.net> 03/23/00 12:32PM >>>
Here is a form that I wrote wrote by hand, no formatting. Our first
tester had trouble checking the boxes until he went from the bottom up.
I am not done with this one yet. We have just began the testing phase.

When he accessed the following form, only the radio button id's were
read to him. The text was not identified. Most of the tome the SS# field
was called phone#. This form needs a lot of repair.

Terry Hammon