Re: the WAVE accessibility evaluator

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 09:51:27 -0500
To: Kelly Ford <kford@teleport.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org
Kelly, thanks for spotting that.  Fixed now.

That was an

<INPUT type="image">

WAVE now tests for ALT text there.  Do you think thats being too
tough?  Should we allow a readable value attribute, which is what the
screen reader picks up on?  I'm personally inclined to say no, thats too
much like allowing an image filename to be a substitute for ALT text. Plus
it would make the coding of WAVE harder <grin>.

Also, I'm glad to see that the WAVE output is sufficiently accessible that
its bugs can be spotted through a screenreader.

WAVE also showed in that example javascript that wasn't hidden from
non-javascript browsers... they should have used an HTML comment <!--
Hmmm.  wonder if I should do something about that... people might can
scared off by the javascript or think WAVE was broken...

At 11:16 AM 3/17/00 -0800, Kelly Ford wrote:
>I wonder if you might consider adding support for a problem that shows up
>on pages like <http://www.homegrocer.com>.  This page has two buttons that,
>according to the instructions, have the word Go on them.  But in the code
>for the page screen readers are getting the label for these buttons from
>the value="1" code for the image.  As a result all I hear for these buttons
>is "one" and as near as I can tell the WAVE makes no reference to this
>being a problem in the results for the page.

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)