  From: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <unagi69@concentric.net>
  To: "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
  Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2000 9:11 AM
  Subject: RE: Tool Tip behavior

  > Proper titling should be done despite whatever the user agents decide to
  > do.  If there needs to be a specific TOOLTIP attribute,that might be the
  > best approach for certain user agents, using extensible additions to XHTML.
  > unquote
  >
  > or via an extension to CSS -- if you can define a cursor, why not a
  > tooltip?  after all, they do have their uses -- even i can "see" that --

  [...]

  Yes, that sounds like a great idea. 'display: tooltip' perhaps? But there has to be a way to define *which* element it should be a tooltip for ...

  Hmm, perhaps using the parent element would work?

  with span.footnote { display: tooltip; width: 10em; height: auto; background: #F3F3BE; color: black; }

  "Ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur?" could now be displayed as a tooltip for the 'em' element (dolorem). This would of course not work with *empty* elements, e.g. 'img'.

  --#
  Karl Ove Hufthammer