Re: Frames

From: <thatch@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:45:54 -0600
To: Melinda Morris-Black <melinda@ink.org>
cc: Accessibility Listserve <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I would like to take that one.

If frames are used properly, then with some assistive technologies, they
solve the central problem of finding the main content from amidst all the
navigation stuff.

Take an example of 3 frames, main navigation, section navigation, and main
Further assume that the content provider has given those frames TITLE's on
frame page, and name attributes in the FRAME element of the FRAMESET -
titles the same as I just described them.

Then with Home Page Reader, the blind user hears a list of three frames,
"main navigation,
section navigation, main content." The Lynx user hears the same. They can
visit the main
content. If a link is followed there that would open in the main content
frame, it is
transparent to the user. The user can go back to the frame list and select,
the section navigation, choose a link there, and if it opens in the main
content window,
then HPR will take you there for listening transparently.

You can try it with the trial version of HPR (http://www.ibm.com/sns.)
There is a
brief description of how sighties use HPR in the Web guidelines on the same

In summary, frames can be very good for accessibility.

Jim Thatcher
IBM Accessibility Center
HPR Quick Help: http://www.austin.ibm.com/sns/quickreplace.html

Melinda Morris-Black <melinda@ink.org> on 02/15/2000 04:06:43 PM

To:   Accessibility Listserve <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject:  Frames

Could someone please explain to me how a web page with frames "sounds"
to someone using voice assistive technologies? A web developer asked me
this question.

Additionally, I'd appreciate a response that fully explains why frames
are not a good accessibility solution. Links to online documentation
would also suffice. I dislike frames for reasons separate from
accessibility, but want more ammo to rid them from existence! :)

Information Architect
Information Networks of Kansas
FON: (785) 296-5143
PCS: (785) 550-7345