RE: New York Times web site

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:25:24 -0800
To: A.Flavell@physics.gla.ac.uk
Cc: WAI Guidelines List <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 04:19 AM 2/11/2000 , Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> >  For example, it's
> > possible that they think a text-only site is the best way to
> > convey their information or they're trying to cater to a Lynx
> > crowd.
>If I might make a comment on that specific point: it seems to me
>to be a fundamental misunderstanding to "cater to" Lynx users by
>generating text-only versions.

I wasn't endorsing the design consideration, only trying to explain
a possible (valid) design consideration.

As long as you allow access for -everyone-, it -is- a valid design
decision to create pages optimized for a particular browser or
set of browsers.  (Doing this correctly is difficult, which is why
information ghettoization is a problem.)

I don't personally -agree- with this design decision and I would
argue against it, but I would not argue that it's an invalid thing
for someone to want to do.