RE: All Set With Access

Rob,

I know you are a champion of making PDF accessible and have worked through
many of the struggles.  I hope you won't mind if I use this as an example.
I figured that the file you sent would be an example of extremely
screen-reader friendly Acrobat file.  I must now assume that someone else
did the work!

Is the accessinvite.pdf file you posted to the WAI EO/GL lists available by
public URL?

I am a little bit concerned that the "Access for All" pdf brochure you
included is actually an example of a fairly inaccessible Acrobat Reader
document!  Is this the best Adobe can do?  Reading that brochure with the
Access Plug-in reveals significant problems -- and this is a relatively
simple document!

1)  The file does not include any alternative representation of the graphic.
Do the latest (4x) tools have anything equivalent to HTML's ALT attribute?

2)  The text on the first page is convoluted.

3)  The second page (two columns) is pretty much unreadable as the "Access
View" ignores the vertical bar and text is read across the page!  There are
also a few non-printable artifacts.

I've attached the text-export from Acrobat Reader 4.05 of the file below.

I don't mean to embarrass you, but that this would slip through really
alarms me!

Thanks for your work.

Sincerely,
Bruce Bailey