Re: Interview w/ George Olsen of WaSP @ Adobe.com

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:17:30 -0500
CC: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>, Web Accessibility Initiative <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> Mac IE 4.5 (not 4.0) is supposed to be the first truly standards
> compliant browser from Microsoft.
>
> I don't have my bookmarks with me, but this has been covered a few
> times in the press and is touted on Microsoft's web site somewhere.

Well then, Kynn, thank you ever so much for reposing that news to the WAI-IG
list!  :)  Sorry, I never saw that story.  I use a Mac at home, and switched to
IE because it was the first Mac browser that could handle a number of common
HTML characters correctly (like &frac12;).  4.5 "feels" very much like 4, but
given it was a total rewrite, I am surprised they didn't change the version
number to 5.  I guess MS did not want the Mac version to be a head of the
Windows flavor!  For the record, I have encountered more than one heavily
formatted sites (which uses CSS) that doesn't display quite right in Windows (IE
or NN) but is just fine on the Mac (w/ IE 4.5).  IE (on the Mac) also does the
Win NN "Smart Download" trick, but with any file and is very reliable.  (I am
not sure what I have be doing wrong with NN for Windows, but the *only* place I
ever got Smart Download to work, was from the Netscape home page.)  if Outlook
Express (for the Mac) came with a spelling checker, I might feel like I should
be going easier on poor old Microsoft!