RE: city of hartford site has a text only?

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:35:49 -0500
To: <webmaster@dors.sailorsite.net>, "David Poehlman" <poehlman@clark.net>
Cc: "Web Accessibility Initiative" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, <kathleen.anderson@po.state.ct.us>
Regarding whether browsers and screenreaders can read hotspots, anyone who
wants to check their browser  and screenreader can go to a test page at

http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/web_access/image_map.html

There's ALT text for the image as a whole and for each hotspot.

Len

At 08:29 AM 1/11/00 -0500, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>David Poehlman wrote:
> > can someone tell me if this should have been necessary?
> > Thanks, url below.
> > http://ci.hartford.ct.us/
>
>In a word, no -- but then you knew that!
>Anyone on the list in Connecticut want to take the Kynn challenge and create
>an accessible version of this home page for them?
>It looks like the authors constrained themselves to using FrontPage which,
>from my experimentation with it, makes writing valid html difficult.
>
>Kathleen Anderson wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean by 'necessary', but, until user agents
> > support alt tags for the hotspots in client-side image maps, or until
> > the City eliminates the image map altogether, I believe he did the
> > reasonable thing.
>
>At this point, don't user agents support alt tags for hotspots in
>client-side image maps quite well?  I am not sure about Netscape, but hasn't
>I.E. 4.01 (and latter, w/ JFW) supported client-side image maps (that had
>alt text of course) for like over a year now?  Has it not been a few years
>since Lynx had this feature?
>
>I offer this question up to the group:
>Given a broken page to start with, which is more "reasonable", (1) re-coding
>to the page (keeping the original appearance) to use valid and accessible
>html, or (2) creating a text-only version of the page?
>I have my prejudices, but I would like to hear some other opinions!
>
>--  Bruce Bailey

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)