Tagging question...

From: Melinda Morris-Black <melinda@ink.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 13:33:20 -0500
To: "WAI Interest Group (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I've heard two schools of thought on alt tagging images. I'd appreciate a
definitive answer, if one exists on this issue.

1st school: Alt tag every image, no matter how insignificant.
2nd school: If the image is a spacer gif or decorate bullet-type element, use ""
(empty quotes).

I was told by a user of screen readers that hearing the description of redundant
elements was annoying, so I'm seeking clarification. Additionally, how does
Bobby or any of the verification applications handle the empty tags?

Thanks to the list for answering these very basic questions.

--
Regards,

MELINDA MORRIS-BLACK
Information Architect