Re: absolute location

At 09:37 AM 6/4/2000 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Providing information on the accessibility (as far as it is known) of the
>things at the other ends of the links would be helpful.

Except that some things change a lot, and it's really unreasonable to
expect a general interest, accessible site to take on that extra burden
of checking the accessibility (continually) for each site it links
to.  For example, the HTML Writers Guild site strives for accessibility
and the Guild promotes accessibility, but I don't think we can be
expected to maintain a database of whether or not the web design
resources we link to are accessible or not -- and to whom.

Note:  For specialty sites -- say, one of the "PWD portals" -- there
might be a greater responsibility to link to accessible sites and
warn if any links are known to be inaccessible.  If there were an
organization called the "Blind Web Designers Guild", for example,
it would be reasonable to expect -their- resources lists to link to
sites accessible to users with visual impairments.

Director of Accessibility, edapta                  http://www.edapta.com/
AWARE Center Director                         http://www.awarecenter.org/
Next of Kynn: a quasi-regular web log           http://www.kynn.com/next/