Re: accessibility?

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:07:16 -0600
To: jay@peepo.com, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 07:31 AM 11/26/99 +0000, jonathan chetwynd wrote:

>I thought you might like to know the following
>
>one of my students is very keen on wordsearches,
>(note that the meaning of the words is not  required)
>She found a suitable website within minutes unaided and has had minimal
>experience of using the www.
>one of her own creations will be on our homepage this weekend.
>
>another equally able and experienced student was looking for a map of the UK.
>after half an hour, I started to help a little harder, and we eventually
found
>a rather useless and very small one.

On the other hand, in the market of educational CDs and toys you will find
many contenders: computer-accessible atlases and interactive globes.

Don't be surprised at this.  End-user data speeds are still generally
inadequate for the delivery of high quality maps.

>I realize this does not help generalise issues, however I do feel that it is
>important for us to discuss the means of access as well as html and indeed
xml.

>symantics is not a suitable metaphor it is the limbic system I seek,
>seat of the emotions.

I hope, as a teacher, that you are not solely concerned with emotions.  The
current Consumer Reports has an interesting review of educational products
as possible gifts.  They rated them separately on fun and
"problem-solving."  I would guess that you want to keep fun above some
minimum and then maximize the problem-solving value of the experience, once
the fun level is acceptable.  I understand that for many of your clients
the web just isn't enough fun yet to keep them at it.

Al