Electronic Canes (was RE: Practice ...)

Dear Peter,

I just verified this phone number.  This company does NOT have a web site!
Nurion Industries
Station Square, Building 2, Paoli, Pennsylvania 19301.
Tel: 610/640-2345

You can find similar products from Trace's HyperAbleData at starting with
the "Type of Product" search at URL:
http://www.trace.wisc.edu/conet-bin/xad?Mn=index.html&db=1&p=20&Opt=22
Follow the link for "Sensory Disabilities" then "Blind and Low Vision" then
"Travel Canes".
Take a look at the products listed under "Auditory Cane", "Laser Cane", and
"Vibrating Cane".
I could not find ANY manufacturer URLs, but I have used working prototypes
and shipping products for at least five years, perhaps longer.  Sorry.  All
of these devices have been expensive and in limited production.  My
impression is that most users have not found the products to be that great,
and certainly not worth the asking price.  Vendors, for their part, have
had a hard time getting the word out to potential customers.

On Tuesday, November 23, 1999 6:51 AM, peter.b.l.meijer@philips.com
[SMTP:peter.b.l.meijer@philips.com] wrote:
> Bruce wrote
>> I think the technology may have promise for real time use (where
>> the user is controlling the up/down left/right component), but
>> products that work that way (for navigating the real world) are
>> already available.
>
> What products are you referring to here? GPS systems? Electronic
> compasses? Talking signs?

No, I am referring to electronic canes!  (see above)