Re: How Much Of A Problem Are Tables Used for Design?

From: Scott Luebking <phoenixl@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:59:31 -0800 (PST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi,

This afternoon I've been reviewing student project web sites as part of
some teaching I do in the MBA program at Berkeley.  It was interesting
the various ways that tables were being used to control the space.  Sometimes
tables were used to create symmetry where the left and right columns had
a similar structure and function while also serving as a frame around
the middle.  Another example was to create a particular construct that
was repeatedly used on the page.  The repetition gave visual cuing about
what the construct would be used for while at the same time enhancing
the feeling of unity in the design.  (Kind of like alliteration in
writing with the same sound being used repeatedly.)

Scott