Re: How Much Of A Problem Are Tables Used for Design?

From: Kelly Ford <kford@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:58:32 -0800
To: tvraman@us.ibm.com
I'm not arguing against the points you or Gregory have made.  However, it
has been my personal experience that the majority of sites that use tables
for layout are readable with a variety of browsing strategies used by
people who are blind.  I guess if I have to do a bit of moving up or down a
line to figure context when I'm unfamiliar with a page I don't find that
such a horrific thing.  When combined with the reality that the vast vast
majority of web sites use table commands for layout I think trying to
change such behavior will be a losing battle from the start.

I don't know of any method that is going to quickly tell me the context of
a single word searched for on a web site.  I mean I could bring up any
page, type in a search term and find it.  I'd still have to do a bit of
exploring to discover the context of that word.