Re: # of disabled Web users

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:21:52 -0700
To: "jonathan chetwynd" <jonathan@signbrowser.free-online.co.uk>
Cc: "Carine Ullom" <carine@ukans.edu>, "'Web Accessibility Initiative'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 04:56 PM 10/21/1999 +0100, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>According to UK education statistics 1 in 5 students (or 20% of students) in
>mainstream schools has Special Educational Needs. This naturally covers a
>range of physical and cognitive disabilities including dyslexia, cerebral
>palsy...

Jonathan points out an important statistic here -- the number of
_current_ disabled web users is far _less_ than the number of
_potential_ disabled web users (which I've heard several times
quoted as "around 20%") simply because for many of those people,
using the web is a fruitless, frustrating experience!

Better to look at the 12% who _can't_ use the web, than the 8% who
have found a way to cope!

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member