Re: barriers to accessibility

From: jonathan chetwynd <jonathan@signbrowser.free-online.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 08:35:40 +0100
To: "Steven McCaffrey" <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Thank you very much for your reply.

I rely on feedback.

First let me say that I did not write the contents, and I am from the UK.

I assume you are from New York?

"impairments in intelligence" is to my mind unsuitable, I was advised this
is a US English phrase.

(Severe) Learning Difficulties in the UK can include Downs Syndrome.

I was advised that in the US it tends to mean dyslexia and less serious
problems.

Cognitive Disability is also being considered, as an overall term.

I did advise that a description of the disability be included to aid
international understanding.

If you have any links to definitive US descriptions I would be grateful.

Really I feel you should send this via the WAI list.

It is very important to get this aired.

I hope you are not offended that I have forwarded it.

Jonathan Chetwynd
jay@peepo.com

Search the www with pictures at
www.peepo.com